White Rose Maths
Hello year 5, we would love you to complete White Rose’s online maths lessons, one per week day. Week 1 is on decimals and hundredths, which works perfectly with what we were doing in class, so please start there. You can then move on to week 2, which is rounding decimals.
Each lesson has a lesson presentation where they teach you the material, and a worksheet which they prompt you to fill in as you go.
Click me: https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-5/
Please read Mrs McNicholas’ email carefully, regarding the recommendations for the first two weeks of home learning.
Please find the year 5 overview in the PDF ‘Year 5 Letter’ below.
Click me ->Writing – Diary Entries
Click me -> Year 5 Letter Please read this letter to find ideas and links for home learning across subjects.
Click me -> Daily Home Timetable Example
Audible – free audio books! – https://stories.audible.com/start-listen
P.E live every morning at 9am!: https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1/featured
Maths and English Activities for the next two weeks:
- Remember – this is not a ‘to do list’ – choose the ones appropriate to you, you do not need to do all of them
- Maths – the below is a revision guide for our recent decimals and fractions topics, and accompanying worksheets. You do not have to do the worksheets, you could choose decimals and fractions Busy Ant pages instead (less screen time!)
- You do not need to print anything – write the answers in your notepad
- Art and Music – Finally please keep being creative! Art can be used within any of the topic home work which is set, but you can also just enjoy art and being creative! Explore online virtual galleries to inspire you and let your inner artist out! Those of you learning musical instruments, keep practising and don’t forget to sing! Singing is lots of fun and has been medically proven to improve your mental health, as well as keeping your lungs healthy!
Find out what your child will be learning this year:
This term’s curriculum
Year Group: 5
Term/Year: Spring 2020
Persuasive Writing—Non Fiction
‘Earth Heroes’ – Biography study and use of persuasive language techniques to script write
Using drama and playscripts to study the great bard.
Eye of the Wolf
Writing in role, empathising with a character’s viewpoint, reading skills (inference focus)
- Determiners, Adverbial Openers, Clauses (main, subordinate), prepositions.
- Use brackets, dashes and commas to add extra information. Subordinate clauses.
- See ‘The Spelling Shed’ and weekly homework
Use of ‘Destination Reader’ scheme to deepen children’s reading experiences and improve their comprehension. Children will develop their use of oracy, inference and collaborative questioning.
The children will use specific learning behaviours to work on 7 reading skills: predicting, inferring, asking questions, evaluating, clarifying, making connections and summarising.
Number – Multiplication and division
- Multiply numbers up to 4 digits by a one- or two-digit number using an efficient written method,
- Multiply and divide numbers mentally drawing upon known facts
- The efficient written method of short division and interpret remainders appropriately for the context multiply and divide whole numbers and those involving decimals by 10, 100 and 1000
- Square and Cubed numbers
- Solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Solve problems involving multiplication and division,
- Compare and order fractions whose denominators are all multiples of the same number
- Recognise mixed numbers and improper fractions and convert from one form to the other
- Add and subtract fractions with the same denominator and related fractions
- Multiply proper fractions and mixed numbers by whole numbers, supported by materials and diagrams.
- People of Prayer
- Lent to Easter
- Please refer to the RE Newsletter
- Investigating ‘pull’, ‘push’ and air resistance.
- Scientist studies, including Sir Isaac Newton and Gravity.
- Exploring magnetism and different metals.
- Understanding and identifying balances and unbalanced forces
- Various exciting experiments to bring Science to life and to inspire the next generation of Scientists!
Weekly Swimming lessons at Park Road
Weekly session with LFA Coaches
Video filming and editing
- Filming and editing ‘Earth Heroes’ videos
- Computer programming and debugging
- Year 5 will be learning the basics of drumming through ‘chair drumming’.
- They will also be working on listening skills: analysing difference pieces of music.
- Children will learn how to give interviews about themselves: name, age, birthday,
- hair and eye colour, height and pets, school and hobbies.
Art and DT
- Graffiti Art Topic– studying street artists including Banksy, and Keith Haring